Monday, August 8, 2011

Get in the boat

I've heard forever it seems about getting out of your comfort zone aka stepping out of the boat. Well this weekend during one of our lovely chats(God and I), He said do you trust me enough to get in the boat and go to sleep? Remember the story where the disciples saw that it was storming out and went to wake Jesus up since they were afraid. They reacted in fear instead of rest. Jesus calmed the storms that day and questioned the disciples' faith, but I've wondered before what did they miss learning through those storms? I wonder what happened next time a storm came up...(Lesson I've learned once you go through one of those shake your faith and rock your world storms, it is a lot easier to take a breathe and trust Him to handle the next one as it comes up...(wish I could have learned it without that intense storm, but thankful for that lesson now)

It takes just as much faith to get in the boat when you can see the storm coming, as it does to get out of the boat. He didn't say the ride in the boat would be easy(how many have ever been on a boat during a storm? It's up and down and can down right make you sick), but there is a lesson to be learned in resting with Him through the storm. The storm always ends and one day you'll wake up and you are on the other side;-) It's a lesson I'm hoping to learn this round, because I definitely would rather not repeat. (Side note about storms: Storms can be something literal on the outside or it may be inside(learning to keep feelings under control, keeping the flesh in check when wronged etc.). There is a certain comfort in knowing He can stop it in an instant, but there is also a peace in knowing that's He's resting too. (In other words, if He is not worried, why should you be?)

He doesn't ask us to get in the boat because He thinks we can do it or even because we think we can do it, but He knows we can! Remember He knows more about you than you know about yourself and He trusts you with what He gives you! I've often asked Him why do you trust me so much? I sometimes think that makes Him smile.  I love that He knows me better than I know myself!

Once you learn how to get out of the boat and walk to Him, don't be surprised if He doesn't ask you to get in the boat and rest for awhile. It doesn't mean it will be easy, but He knows your heart and He knows you can handle it! Don't miss what He has planned to put in you while you rest ;-)

Until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment